Saturday 24 December 2011

The editor/blogger....

Hello everyone!

I would like to give some input about this blog. On the title of this blog was named "accident and emergency nursing 2008". It was created in 2008 as for my A&E Nursing Course back in 2008 - hence the name. As for now, i have been working in Out-Patient Department here in Brunei Darussalam. Living the life of an Emergency Nurse has been my dream but in some cases, you never got that dream. Although i have worked before in A&E in my early years. However, referring to my clinical duties in Community Clinic, somehow, we do need our knowledge on how to handle certain emergency cases. If other country might not see this or may consider it irrelevant, back to where i work, we do receive cases that we can categorize as semi-urgent and urgent - not all cases in Community Clinic appears to be 'cold cases' or follow-ups.

I once thought that nurses in community has lessen their nursing practice due to their working environment - but i was wrong. And i can't deny that it is obvious that not all of them have the experience on handling emergency case. And yes we did our rotation when we were a student. But that does not mean we are considered a pro. 

Indeed some practices practiced in hospital setting/ emergency department are still needed even when you are put to work in a community setting in Brunei.These includes, to name a few - cannulation, nasogastric insertion, suturing and urinary catheterization. Emergency cases doesn't come all the time but when they do, you have be get all the necessities on hand. 

As of now, nursing practice has change drastically when year after year of practice, those who are familiar with emergency procedures are put in the front line - this includes myself. One of the duties of a nurse is to teach. This gives me the responsibility to teach my colleagues on certain things in order to familiarize when such situation arises. 

Okay! I think i have said enough. I don't want to get philosophical at the end. 

No comments: